Skip to main content

The Era of SNS ....

In my Engg. 1st year, I didn't had the slightest idea regarding Social Networking Sites (SNS). At least, I don't know how to properly use an E-mail ... "Social Networking tho Bahut doore ki baath hai". I didn't have a personal comp. in the 1st year. So used to go to the library for using Internet. There, I was introduced to "Orkut" by my classmate & friend Mohit. That was my first SNS.


Orkut :- This term is heard by most of us during the 2006-2009 Era (If U r in India). Everyone had a Orkut account at that time. In colleges, people used to compete with others in terms of no. of "scraps" or even friends. Boys used to hunt for girls by sending a "Friend Request". Orkut was even in news. I even heard about some cyber crimes in which Orkut was offender's platform. Youth is the main target in these crimes.


GTalk or Gmail :- Orkut and Gmail can be used with same username. Gmail introduced an integrated chat along with Mail itself. That's Gtalk. It bought a revolutionary change. People started to use Gmail instead of Yahoo!!, Hotmail, etc. Most of the people in India use Gmail. U can say that this is the most used IM in India.


Facebook :-  People got bored doing all that "scraps" in the Orkut. It came to a threshold. Eventually No. of Scraps r not at all increasing. They r looking for something new. Facebook came to the rescue. It started in 2004. American people had been using it a lot since 2005 or even before. Indian "Janata" too started using it extensively from 2009. It has features like "like", pages, good elegant interface, private and public messages, chat, Wall, etc. It also has applications or games like Mafia Wars, FarmVille, etc, which are quite addictive. These classic features gave it a place in "Top 100 classic Websites" in 2007.
                        Nowadays, People are so addicted to Facebook that they are buying mobiles with Facebook applications pre-installed on it so that they can be online on-the-Go. Everybody is waiting for somebody to comment or "like" their status, photos, videos, etc.


Twitter :- When it comes to Twitter, it is completely different from Facebook. "Following and Followers" - "Tweets and Retweets". Like in Orkut where people used compete in number of scraps, In Twitter too they compete in terms of number of Tweets. But there's easy way here. "Just Retweet the Tweets U got from whom U follow". That's what I do most of the times, but I retweet a little sensible ones. LOL.




There is also a kind of Barter system over here to increase the no. of followers U have. " You follow me, I follow You" or "I followed you, follow me back please..!!!"...These are mostly commonly found in this barter system. There are even services who will provide you with certain number of followers if U pay the mentioned amount. That's Weird. I guess people do such things to promote their business, site or something else. In my view, Wat really made "Twitter" a success is " The presence of a lot of celebrities from various fields, countries, domains, etc ". U name one, he/she is already on Twitter (Probability ~ 99.99%).


There r many other SNS like MySpace, LinkedIn, etc. I don't use all of them otherwise U won't have much time to do anything else in ur life. Nowadays, People r using SNS so extensively that people in the same room are talking through some IM or Facebook.

Whatever SNS it maybe, "Beware" of Cyber crimes. Play Safe...!!!

Comments

  1. Nicely explained..and true in this century..plp are spending more time connecting virtually than in reality...Voted
    Check mine too A Woman's life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do drop your comment/opnion here

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p