Skip to main content

The Namesake

India is not only a country with a wide variety of cultures, languages, ethnics, landscapes, religions, castes,...etc, but also a country with even more wide variety of human nomenclature. Don't U agree with me? ... No... U will agree with me after reading this post...

My name is "Umesh Ram". It sounds Good, Neat & Clear. Adding my Surname "Yarlagadda" to it, things get messy here. Some people especially Non-Andhra Ones don't know how to pronounce it. The Real complication occurs when you keep moving among different states like me.

In Andhra Pradesh, it is a convention that your surname comes first before your name. Just like mine it was
Yarlagadda Umesh Ram
I studied in IT-BHU, Uttar Pradesh. There, People have their real name followed by surname.
Example...
(Real Name) + (Gupta or Agarwal or Tiwari or Shukla or Srivastav or "Katiyar"...etc)
In all my certificates, my name is written as "Yarlagadda Umesh Ram". So when people pronounce my name, they start it right from the surname. As they try to  pronounce it, they come up with awkward sounds. That really annoys me. So wherever I go & when people ask me "What's ur name?". I say "Umesh Ram" so that I save some energy and complication.

I still remember all those days in IT-BHU when Profs. used to call names for attendance. In the attendence register, my name starts with my surname. When it comes to  my name, they find it really hard to pronounce it ("Yarlagadda"). In those attempts, they used to discover new words that starts with "Y". But they never pronounced my surname correctly. That used to be amusing for the rest of the guys in the class. I find myself relieved if Profs. takes attendance by calling corresponding roll no.

I wish my name could have been like this

Hrithik Roshan
Kamal Haasan
Atleast it can be Umesh Ram Yarlgadda ... so that it starts with the easy part ("Umesh Ram").

But now the situation is out of hands. Actually I can change it now also, but it is a hell of a process. I have to apply for an affidavit in the court and get it signed by the magistrate. Then, I have to publish in the newspaper that "My name has changed and here onwards, please call my name, starting with Umesh Ram". Huh... I don't think so...

Actually I don't have problem with my name. It's the Others who have problem with it. So Why will I change it??? It doesn't make any sense.

So Guys, try to pronounce my name correctly. That will help you in future when U face similar kind of words.

Do U want to know more about our diverse Indian Nomenclature??? These are some of them that I came across...



In North India, the usual convention is given name followed by last name(surname, caste name, etc). In south India, they have different conventions in different states. I am writing what I know, if I am missing something let me know...

Tamil Nadu : People use either the father's name or initial as a substitute for the surname. There is also widespread usage of a patronymic: use of the father's given name as the second name. This means that the given name of one generation becomes the second name of the next. In many cases, this second name is used as an initial and the given name may appear like a second name. For example a name like "Ajith Abraham" means "Ajith son of Abraham". If Ajith then has a son named Ashvin, then his name would be Ashvin Ajith. It is common for Tamil women to adopt their husband's given name as a second name. Sunitha Gopalan (Sunitha daughter of Gopalan) might change her name to Sunitha Rajiv (Sunitha wife of Rajiv) after marriage.

Andhra Pradesh : Family names of Telugu people are supposed to be the name of the village or area their ancestors came from.The family names of Telugu people precede the given name and are mostly abbreviated. For example, the name Kambham Nagarjuna Reddy would be abbreviated as K.N.Reddy. In this name Nagarjuna Reddy is the given name, and Kambham would be the family(Surname) name. Some of the people who belong to a particular caste include the caste names in their names, especially Naidu, Chowdary, Reddy, etc. For example, Vijay Reddy, Hari Chowdary, Devender Goud. In general, if the name of a person in Western format was Vijay Reddy Kandi (given name, second given name and family name), then the name in Telugu-speaking areas would be written as K. Vijay Reddy.

Maharashtra : A number of Marathi family names end in 'kar', e.g. Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Savarkar, Madgulkar, Mayekar, Acharekar, Navalkar, Joglekar, Juhekar, Deuskar, Manglokar, Chindarkar and are sometimes associated with the native village of the family or its ancestors. Marathi last names and origins are extremely well documented and the roots and lineage can be traced back hundreds of years.
In Karnataka & Maharashtra, the naming convention is given name, father's name (Middle name), last name (Can reflect Sir name, family name, place, occupation etc.).

Comments

  1. good stuff!! well written and excellent way of writing!! kudoss to ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely written bro!! well use of words and knowledge!! keep rocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Kerala people are getting rid of anything that points to the caste of a person...a good change, I think...name of ancestral house and then the given name...that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st the good--- Nicely wriitten,excellent vocab,sound writing skills,May u become a reat writer

    The bad - people are dying organisations are getting bankrupt,careers are being built and destroyed and this is all

    that u can right about

    ReplyDelete
  5. why katiyar in inverted commas?????????????????
    m annoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tiwari ... ... That was to annoy Mr.Katiyar bhai ... U don't get annoyed ... if u want, i will double-quote you tooo ... :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do drop your comment/opnion here

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p