Skip to main content

"Google Instant" kills "I'm Feeling Lucky"

Do you know Google??? Stupid question. Everyone knows Google. Known for its search engine at first, but it went beyond & became a pioneer in the Internet.


Everybody is pretty familiar with the interface of Google search engine. The following is the screenshot of the Google search in 2004.

Normally, what people do is type their keywords in the textbox and then press "Enter" or click the button "Google Search". It eventually takes us to the page with the search results like this ...

Search results come along with lots of Ads at the right side of the page. You can see lots of them in the screenshot. But some of us have also observed a button "I'm Feeling Lucky" in the Google's main page, which takes us right to the first link or website in the search results without the effort to surf through the results along with Ads. Many people used it as it serves the purpose of the search engine. "I'm Feeling Lucky" just tells us that "I'm lucky to find my search result directly".

But most of you don't know that "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature caused some damage to the Google's revenues. The damage is negligible compared to Google's revenue. But this damage can be eliminated, and it is done in later years.

In 2009, Both "Google Search" & "I'm Feeling Lucky" buttons disappeared for some countries and users. Instead of clicking buttons, now user just have to press "Enter" to get the search results. Indirectly they eliminated the "I'm Feeling Lucky" facility. A Google spokesperson reasons that, "This is just a test, and a way for us to gauge whether our users will like an even simpler search interface". Later, it was brought back.

In 2010, with the advent of "Google Instant", there is no requirement for any buttons on the interface or the "Enter" button on keyboard. It directly gives the results as you type the keywords in the text box.


That feature is really good. Its dynamic nature keeps you awed. That's where you really forget about your "I'm Feeling Lucky" Button. It still appears on the main Google search page along with "Google Search" button. But if the "Google Instant" is ON, you don't get a chance to press neither "Google Search" nor "I'm Feeling Lucky". You can turn OFF the Google Instant feature in the preferences. But who cares??? They are getting much superior feature, which serves both Google and customer. Google gets their Ads to all the customers and customers gets a dynamic search, where he/she doesn't have to click a thing to move to the search results.

You can still have your old "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature by turning the "Google Instant" OFF in the preferences.

Try this with "Google Instant" ON: Without typing anything, just press the buttons "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling Lucky". Nothing happens when you click "Google Search". When you click "I'm Feeling Lucky", it redirects to Google Doodles (Logos). I can't guarantee these results. Who Knows??? They may redirect it to somewhere else or just remove both Buttons.

Comments

  1. Actually We have not MISSed "I'm Feeling Lucky" option.(With GOOGLE INSTANT ON)

    before introduction of Google Instant, 1) we type the search item in text box, 2) We press I'm Feeling Lucky button.

    With "Google Instant ON" we can do the same.
    1)We type the search item in text box,( as soon as we start typing something we are redirected to search results page)
    2)we have two options here
    a) we can EITHER press "i am feeling lucky " link in blue provided against each auto suggestion search item from drop down just below search box.
    b) OR we can select first result

    "IT servers purpose of both GOOGLE and USER"

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I observed it later. but it still defeats the original purpose of that button. you are already in the search results. I guess the no. of persons who use that button has drastically reduced.

    But it still serves the purpose ... but more for google and less for the user.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do drop your comment/opnion here

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p