Skip to main content

The Autowala

  
It was September 4th (Tuesday), Gurgaon. I woke up and heard the sound of drizzling rain. Hoping that it would stop by the time i step out for the office, I got ready in an hour. Still raining. Unfortunately, I forgot my umbrella at my home (Andhra) in the previous week when i went on vacation to Ongole. I have a Adidas cap which can protect me from getting cold, pneumonia, etc. But it can't stop from my formals getting drenched. No choice. I had to leave for the office, I was already late.

                                    Took some monetary change for the share-auto and my ID cards. When i came down the stairs, aunty (house owner) in the ground floor asked me whether i need an umbrella. I am amazed at her benevolence. Considering my previous experience with the rude owners of Gurgaon, she was always good to me. But this is more than 'Good'. Maybe it was the good side-effect of the Tirupati-Laddu and sweets (homemade) i gave her the previous day. I immediately accepted her offer.

                                    To reach my Office, I have to change 2 Autos. One from sector 23 (my dwelling) to Jwala mill Junction for 5/-  and another one from Jwala mill junction to Unitech Infospace SEZ (my office) for 10/-. When i reached Jwala mill junction ... fearing that i will get soaked in the rain while getting the 5 rupees out of my purse for the Autowala, I sat in the auto and extracted a 5 rupee coin from my rumpled purse. Handed the coin over to him and started running to get another auto which will take me to my daily morning destination. Reached the Unitech Infospace SEZ entrance. This time also I took out a 10-rupee note while sitting in the Auto. Handed it over and extended my hands into the pockets to get the ID cards. They are missing.

                                    Perplexed. Well, I was sure that i placed ID cards in the side pockets. Might have lost them in the auto while taking the purse out of the pocket. My mind started wondering how much effort and penalty it will take to get back the company ID and SEZ ID again (this one is not at all easy to get). Trying to ignore all these thoughts, I went to the security desk and asked for a temporary card (valid for only one day). I even considered the option of taking the temporary card daily throughout my stay in the company as it saves me the penalty. Considering the effort it takes, penalty would be a better option. I am convinced that ID cards are gone for sure.

                                    In the afternoon ... Immersed in the daily work routine and almost forgot about the ID cards, I received a call from my mother. She said that "someone keeps calling and is talking in Hindi. I am not able to completely understand what he is saying. But he mentioned about an ID card.". Praise the Lord. Somebody got hold of the ID cards and he is trying to contact. My mother's phone is mentioned on the company ID card as an "Emergency Number". So, I got that person's phone number from my mother and called him.

                                    To my surprise, it was the Autowala. The one who commutes on the road from Sector 23 to Jwala Mill Junction. He asked me whether it is "Umesh Ram" speaking. I wondered if he knows English as he was able to figure out my name from the ID card.When i confirmed, he asked me if i can come and collect the ID cards. Well, I can't drop everything right now and collect the cards. So I asked him if he can hand them over to me in the evening. "No problem. You can come to Jwala mill junction auto stand and call me.". "Thanks bhaiya".


                                    He is a Autowala. I don't know whether he figured the name and phone number on his own or might have taken somebody's help. For the help he is doing, I thought he maybe expecting some appreciation from me, maybe in the form of money. So why not give some?


                                    In the evening, I went to the auto stand and called him. Before the call went through, somebody tapped on my back. I turned back and saw him. There he is.

I asked "Are you the one who found my ID card?"
"Yes".
He handed over the ID cards and extended his hand towards me for a Handshake. Awed by his etiquette. I obliged.
"Thanks bhaiya (brother). Take this."
Took a 20 rupees note out of my pocket and gave it to him. He refused.
"There is no necessity for this"
"Bhaiya, nobody just helps a stranger these days. If somebody else got these ID cards, they would have ended up in a gutter or a dustbin. You even tried to contact me multiple times through phone."
Well, my mother had trouble understanding his accent. It takes patience and social responsibility to call again and again. And i believe that one should appreciate such traits. In this case, I want to say thanks and reward him with a little amount of money. It would cost me around 100 to 200 rupees to get those ID cards back and lot of effort & time as well.
"It must have cost you to do the calls. This money will at least cover that cost. Giving you this money is the least I can do. Please take it"
I handed the note over to him. Gave him an informal salute (similar to Rajinikant stylish salute).

You rarely confront such people in your daily life. When you do, Always appreciate  their good qualities and deeds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p