Skip to main content

1200 litres of Diesel

Recently, I have been to Nizampatnam to collect my Grade Sheet from Venky (My friend and classmate). He collected my grade sheet and applied for provisional certificate on my behalf at the college. Thanks to him, otherwise I had to undergo a lot of journey which costs me in terms of money, time and effort.

At his home, he offered me and my family ...a great lunch. Full of Sea food...Fish, Prawns, Crabs,...etc. As his father owns a fishing boat, they eat this kind of costly diet daily. Anywayz, it was a great lunch except that I don't eat crabs.


After awhile, we went to harbor. Many fishing boats were there when we arrived. Venky said that Each boat costs nearly 15-25 lakhs depending upon its condition, design and date of manufacture. He also gave an astonishing fact about their fishing business.



He said that the fishing boat leaves the harbor for 4 days. In these 4 days, they stay in the sea and do all the fishing stuff. After then, they return back. He said that it takes nearly 1200 litres of Diesel for the whole journey. Can you believe it??? I was quite amazed. There were like 20 boats at the harbor when I went there and many of them were already at the sea. That's like gallons of diesel.
 I asked venky about how much it costs for them for one trip. He said that if per liter diesel is Rs.40, it is nearly 50,000 - 60,000 including repairs, which are quite common and regular. He said that it was quite profitable once, but now as the diesel prices are high, it's kinda of unpredictable. In past, the diesel rate was Rs.18/Liter. So, the cost per trip is quite less and in every trip, they used to get profits. Now, if they caught quite good amount of fish, then they may get some profits. But sometimes, they come empty-handed, then it's a hell of a loss. Still they continue to do it, as they inherited it from their past generations.

Fishing is not allowed during the summer so that fishes reproduce during this time and maintain the number during the rest of the year. So, all the boats stay at the coast. People remain unemployed. They take loans at high interest rates to feed themselves and then they work the rest of the year to repay their debts with interests. At the end of the year, they may still end up in debts.

Government should look into this issue seriously. But contrarily, Our Govt. is thinking about lifting up the subsidy on petrol and diesel. Then the lives of these people becomes miserable. It will increase their investment cost and also decreases their chance of making profits. So, Government should keep these people in mind while increasing the fuel prices especially Diesel or at-least give them some relaxation. It is better if they come up with some alternative source of energy so that
  • Their investment cost will be decreased and profit-making becomes better.
  • Environment will be protected from the pollution due to combustion of diesel.
  • Gallons of diesel can be saved for over future generations.
I guess ... I have explained myself ... If U have anything to say, Write ur Valuable comment...

Comments

  1. Our politicians are too busy in building scams...no time for such things.....

    Good pst...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to make process of indirect and direct taxation on whole process of oil refining and distribution transparent, then only we can determine who is eating what percantage of profit without value addition. Thanks for upating on the issue with a field trip rather than commenting like armchair critic like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These fisherman sell their catch to the import & export business people...those are the persons who make profits...

    fishermen are like farmers...they don't get direct profits...there are many middle men...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do drop your comment/opnion here

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p