Skip to main content

Deceptive Marketing Strategy of ISPs

After coming from the college, I started missing the Internet @ college. We had a very good internet connection at college even though it's not so reliable. Not reliable because our CC (Computer Centre) has a poor maintenance ( Just as in any Govt. service ). But when the Net is available, we had very impressive download speeds.

In the first few days after getting home, I started feeling the lack of internet in my daily life. As in college, I used to spend my free-time on the internet. I kinda of became an addict to it. So I felt that I should take an internet connection. When people talk about taking an internet connection, they think of BSNL broadband, Reliance and Tata only.


There are two kinds of Internet connection: Wire-line and Wireless.

I thought of taking wireless so that I can use it wherever I want. Wireless broadband is better as it offers good speeds. Before wireless broadband, there is another technology which provides very low speeds. The wireless devices are different for both types of services. In Ongole ( Where I live ), they (BSNL, Reliance, Tata) still didn't install wireless broadband . Without installing it, there is no point in buying the wireless broadband device. But they are still selling the devices for the service which provides low speeds. I need to do some downloads which needs faster internet connection. Therefore, I dropped the thought of taking wireless internet connection. 

Then the only option available to me is the Wire-line BSNL broadband. Once in the past, I subscribed it. As we got shifted and there was nobody using it at home, we unsubscribed the service. But I still have the modem. But it is a real headache to take a BSNL connection because as I said ...it's a Govt. Service. After giving the application, they come after a week or two to fix the phone and again a week or two to give the username and password for using internet. As I don't have any other choice, I have to undergo this trauma of waiting.

In the past, we took a plan for Rs 500. It had good speed around 200 KBps. As usually there is a catch. U can download only upto 1.5 GB. But there is a relaxation: we can use unlimited amount during the early morning hours (2 a.m - 8 a.m). Too odd time to use the internet. So this time I thought of taking an unlimited plan. When I went to submit application, they said that they have a new unlimited plan 625c (Rs.625 per month). In this plan, they said that you will get speed upto 256 KBps and 100 free calls. Good enough for me. So I opted it.

After started using the internet, I came to know that it's not 256 KBps. It's 256 Kbps. U maybe thinking that what's the difference???. There is hell a lot of difference. Let me expalin...

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are using a very deceptive strategy in marketing. When it comes to speed, they mention it as Kbps or Mbps. People may misinterpret it as KiloBytes per sec or MegaBytes per sec. But actually it is Kilobits per sec or Megabits per sec. There is a large difference between Bytes and bits.

1 Byte = 8 Bits
Therefore,1 KiloByte per sec (KBps) = 8 Kilobits per sec (Kbps)
and, 1 MegaByte per sec (MBps) = 8 Megabits per sec (Mbps)
When u say your harddisk is of size 80 GB, it is measured in GigaBytes, not Gigabits. Even when u download a song from internet which maybe around 4-5 MB, it is MegaBytes, not Megabits.

So When BSNL people said that it is 256 KBps, it isn't. I misinterpreted it as KBps. In reality, it is 256 Kbps i.e., 256/8 = 32 KBps (Which is very low) and the previous BSNL connection I had it was 2 Mbps i.e., 2048/8=256 KBps. I am writing this blog so that people are exposed to the reality. ISPs are giving their speeds in terms of Kbps or Mbps, so that it looks like the customers are getting good speeds.

From the below figures, you can see how the ISPs are marketing their services by fooling us around...


The following picture shows the download speeds we used to get in our college...This is my desktop screenshot...


Here it shows 2.99 MBps, not Mbps. In terms of Mbps, it is 24 Mbps. Huhh!!! Missing it Guyzz...

Comments

  1. yO...many think like that...but by now everybody should know

    i say..if someone in hyd..or any wer beam cable service is available ...better go for it ....package for us wud be...600 per month...786 kbps...and by a secret method(h*** actually)we can download at around 350 kBps

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know about networking and internet technology, you may know it...but others doesn't know it...sometimes people may know about bits and bytes ...but they don't know their representations(b and B)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. atleast many of our friends will know after reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ...no one ever said tht connection will be in KBps .It is always in Kbps,even from the old times .This misconception happened coz of customers.u cant call it as a deceptive strategy of an ISP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bhashwanth

    But most of the people generally don't know about bits...so when u say Kbps...then think its bytes, as Bytes in GB...

    when ISP says its 2 Mbps, they think that a 4 MB song gets downloaded in 2secs...but its not...that's what i'm saying...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do drop your comment/opnion here

Popular posts from this blog

Bowling & Howling

Have ever been to a "Bowling Alley"...??? "No"... Then U r missing something...I would say that it's one of the "Too Good" recreational activities. From many weeks, my roommate Vishal has been asking me to give company for going to Bowling Alley. I was not interested at that time as I thought that it would be too costly and boring too. But I said "Ok" to give company,  not to participate. There are few Malls which feature a Bowling Alley.

My First Certification

Hi dudes, This is my first blog. Eventhough i am not so good at narrating, i tried my level best. Post ur comments please to improvise my future blogs. It was Feb 28, 2009. It was my first certification exam. It was real tough to sleep the night before.

An attempt for the Hot Seat - KBC Season 6

Till today, I remember how i used to wait for every episode of KBC in its first season. Not only me, many Indians were in the same state as I was. People would love to imagine, being on the hot seat with a legend like Amitabh Bachchan asking you General knowledge questions, for which you will get money if you answer them correct. What an experience it will be. Oh sorry sorry ... If you don't know what KBC is ... It stands for  " Kaun Banega Crorepati "(who will be the millionaire). The name itself reveals that it is based on UK game show Who wants to be a Millionaire? . [click the links to know more about them] The show was a huge hit ... For reasons like  Anyone can win money in this show who has good General Knowledge and luck in his pocket. Especially for people who are from low income families and educated enough, but don't get chances in their life to prove their worthiness, this show is a hope. This show can bring drastic changes in  lives of those p